Blogroll

Share

Widgets

Friday 26 November 2010

Mutant Homemade Mee Hoon Kueh

The classic/typical Mee Hoon Kueh one find selling in the hawker centres around our tiny island would look and taste something like what is documented in Cooking Crave's post.

At 1pm today, my starving hungry soul decided to make myself Mee Hoon Kueh from scratch. I found half fat Radish, a pretty purplish Brinjal and a packet of Tong choy in the fridge. Digging around the freezer section, I found frozen Scallops, Chicken ham and Vegetarian mockmeat balls.

I tossed chunks of oiled Brinjal into the toaster and roasted it till I could smell it a metre away. Meanwhile, I threw tong choy, 1/2 teaspoon of chicken stock, Radish and some Basil leaves into my soup base. Nearby, I set up a station and using half a cup of flour, I kneaded olive oil, salt and water to form a dough which I rolled out into a flat base and cut into strips and rolled out further till it's really thin. Since I was only cooking for myself, I decided to skip the egg (which would make the "noodles" chewy if added) for the "noodles" > they don't actually look like proper noodles but turn out looking like broad flat Fettuccine with curvy lines since I couldn't really be bothered about the aesthetics but rather more concerned with it being flat. And since I didn't have a rolling pin, I rolled it all out with a mini Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa bottle (see). How ingenious right? When the soup boiled, I tossed the "noodles" in and the shredded chicken ham (that now resembled thin straws) and the scallops and the vegetarian mock meat and cracked an egg in too. I was lazy, so I can't be bothered to have chopped garlic or fried shallots. Once my Brinjal's decently roasted, I tossed them into the soup, stirred everything together and added a little sesame oil and soy sauce.

The result? It's probably the best fusion mess I've eaten for a long time. At least it beats my brother's experimental orange steamed fish (with a unfresh one). And I'm covered for dinner too since the portion is enough for two meals. I guess it's really hard for me to cook just for myself.

Like the chilli padi addict I am, I ate the "noodles" with chopped chilli padi dipped in soy sauce and lemon juice. Beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Itchypaws